After a 20-year career in radio sales, raising a terrific son, three lovable dogs, two rescue cats and two parakeets, Dawn Zachariah returned to the stage. Act3 Productions, a community theater in Sandy Springs, soon became her home, where for several seasons she was stage manager. Today Dawn is the box office and facilities manager at Act3. She was born Chicago, grew up in Lousiville, and moved to Atlanta in 1993. Now Dawn lives in Sandy Springs with her Yorkie, Skokie.
1. For fine dining in Sandy Springs, Kaisers Chophouse is worth the money for juicy steaks, extensive wine list and excellent service. When I’m eating on a budget, next door is Jinya for ramen. There is always a wait and once you have a bowl of their ramen you will understand why.
2. For a delicious authentic Mexican meal, I head to Abuelos in the Publix shopping center on Abernathy. The street tacos are so good – I get the skirt steak and their homemade guacamole is full of cilantro. I like to add lime, but that’s just me. Oh, and their margaritas are delicious.
3. My go-to gift store is Tuxedo Pharmacy, just a smidgeon out of Sandy Springs, off Lake Forrest and Wieuca. Besides getting your prescription medicine, pick up a few unique gifts in the gift shop.
4. The Sandy Springs Farmers Market – my favorite booth is Strive. They serve plant-based/gluten-free food and it tastes amazing. Get there early and purchase one of her cauliflower pizza slices. Her desserts are also over the top!
5. Late night, you might find several actors from Act3 at Meehan’s Irish Pub in the Kroger Shopping center. They have a good selection of scotch and my guilty pleasure is the fried pickles. PS: Try the warm pretzels….deliciousness!
6. Favorite people and dog watching: The Abernathy Greenway Park. It’s also a great place to take the kiddos.
7. I love to head over to grounds at City Springs and relax on their porch swings. The fountains are so pretty and they pipe in music on the grounds.
8. For the best manicure and pedicure: Lee Nails and Spa. They offer green tea while you soak your feet.
9. And of course, Act 3 Productions for quality black box theater. The shows are a carefully curated mix of musicals, drama and comedy. The actors truly bring the performance to life, bringing emotions bubbling to the surface. Go ahead and buy the season, you won’t regret it.